Come and learn about all of the e-books and other digital downloads that the library has to offer from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the monthly Rosa F. Keller Library and Community Center E-Book Fair at 4300 South Broad St. Instruction and assistance will be provided for downloading any of the more than 10,000 e-books, audio-books, music and magazines that the library provides for free.
Sidney Poitier’s life in film
The East New Orleans Regional Library continues its movie series with “Sidney Poitier: A Life In Film” at 2 p.m. Saturday at 5641 Read Blvd. A different Poitier film is shown each month, highlighting some of the most popular films of his career. The August feature film is “In the Heat of the Night,” where Poitier introduces his classic detective Virgil Tibbs. The film is a steamy murder mystery and won the 1967 Academy Award for Best Picture. The film is recommended for mature audiences only and will be shown in the lower level meeting room.
Chess play for teens
Do you know a teen interested in learning to play chess? The Algiers Regional Library hosts a Teen Chess Club twice a month to encourage teens and pre-teens to learn about the ancient game of chess and play each other in friendly matches. The Teen Chess Club will meet from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday at 3014 Holiday Drive.
All of these programs and events are free and open to the public. For information about these, or any events and programs, visit the website at neworleanspubliclibrary.org.
To stay informed about upcoming library events, sign up for weekly events and program event listing emails or like the Facebook page at facebook.com/neworleanspubliclibrary, and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/nolalibrary.
Charles Brown is the executive director of the New Orleans Public Library.
3014 Holiday Drive, (504) 596-2641
- COMPUTER EDUCATION SESSION: 11 a.m. daily.
STORYTIME: 10:30 A.M. TUESDAY; 10:30 A.M. AND 2:30 P.M. SATURDAY.
- CHESS CLUB FOR TEENS: 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
913 Alvar St., (504) 596-2667
- BASIC COMPUTER TUTORING: 11 a.m. Thursday.
STORYTIME: 10 A.M. MONDAY; 10:30 A.M. SATURDAY.
CENTRAL CITY BRANCH
2405 Jackson Ave., (504) 596-3110
- MONDAY MORNING MOVIES: 10 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER
913 Napoleon Ave., (504) 596-2628
- CRAFTS: 11:30 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
EAST NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL
5641 Read Blvd., (504) 596-0200
- HOMEWORK CLINIC: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- SIDNEY POITIER FILM SERIES: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- TECHNOLOGY QUESTIONS DROP-IN TIME: 4 p.m. Monday.
- TEEN MOVIE NIGHT: 5 p.m. Monday.
- COMPUTER CLASSES: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday and Saturday.
- STORYTIME: 5 p.m. Tuesday; 1 p.m. Saturday.
725 Pelican Ave. (504) 366-0657
- FAMILY MOVIES: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
TEEN MOVIES: 2 P.M. SATURDAY.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Monday and Wednesday.
KELLER LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
4300 S. Broad St. (504) 596-2660
- CITIZENSHIP CLASS: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: 10 a.m. Saturday, by appointment.
- YOGA FOR EVERYONE: 11 a.m. Saturday.
E-BOOK FAIR: 2 P.M. SATURDAY.
ENGLISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 P.M. TUESDAY.
- ZUMBA!: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- FREE NOTARY PUBLIC: 10 a.m. Wednesday.
CRAFTACULAR FOR ADULTS: 5 P.M. WEDNESDAY.
- SPANISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
1611 Caffin Ave. (504) 596-2695
- DIY CRAFTS: All day Monday through Friday.
3700 Orleans Ave. (504) 596-2654
- STORY WITH CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- HOMEWORK ASSISTANCE: 4 p.m. Wednesday.
1401 S. Carrollton Ave. (504) 596-2630
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
NORMAN MAYER BRANCH
3001 Gentilly Blvd. (504) 596-3100
- WRITING WORKSHOPS LED BY YOUTHS (AGES 12-17): 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- BOOKED FOR MURDER BOOK CLUB: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- DIVINE DESIGN SEWING CLASS: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- OPEN TECHNOLOGY Q&A: 10 a.m. Monday.
- MONDAY AFTER SCHOOL MOVIE: 4 p.m. Monday.
TABLETOP GAMES: 3 P.M. TUESDAY.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday; 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
- MORTGAGES AND NATURAL DISASTERS TRAINING: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- CRAFTERNOON FOR TEENS: 3 p.m. Wednesday.
- CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOP: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
6301 Canal Blvd. (504) 596-2638
- PRESCHOOLERS’ STORYTIME: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- BOOK PARADE: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- COS-PLAY: 12:30 p.m. Saturday.
- CRAFTS WITH MISS ANDREA: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- ANIME CLUB: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- SHARE A READ BOOK CLUB: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- GLBTQ&A BOOK CLUB: 4 p.m. Monday.
- YU-GI-OH!: 3 p.m. Wednesday.