A new marine transportation company in partnership with New Orleans-based Harvey Gulf International Marine will transport liquefied natural gas as a fuel source to ports in Florida and the Caribbean under a long-term deal with Shell Trading, a unit of the oil company.

Harvey Gulf's CEO, Shane Guidry, will own 70 percent of the new company, called Quality Liquefied Natural Gas Transport LLC. Harvey Gulf will own the remaining 30 percent.

Q-LNG has contracted with Mississippi-based VT Halter Marine to build a 4,000-cubic-meter liquefied natural gas articulating tug barge, which will be designed for ship-to-ship and shore-side resupply transfers.

“While the downturn in the oil and gas market has hurt all vessel operators, our continued partnership with Shell displays the confidence entrusted in our team, which is extremely appreciated and very rewarding," Guidry said in a statement.

Founded in 1955, Harvey Gulf is a marine transportation company that provides offshore supply, crew and multi-purpose construction and support vessels for Gulf of Mexico deepwater drilling operations.