Destrehan teacher accused of having sex with student confessed to affair, police allege in affidavit

Kimberly Naquin

UPDATE, TUESDAY, JANUARY 19, 2016: Accused last week of having a sexual relationship with a female student, Destrehan High School teacher Danielle Naquin was released from the Jefferson Parish jail on Monday afternoon due to prison overcrowding after her bail had been set at $100,000.

Naquin had been jailed in Jefferson on 10 counts of felony carnal knowledge of a juvenile in Jefferson because authorities allege repeated sexual encounters between her and the student at the center of the case took place at a Kenner apartment where the teacher once lived.

Original story:

The Destrehan High School teacher who was arrested last week and accused of having a sexual relationship with an underage student confessed to the nine-month affair a day after the student gave police an accurate description of the inside of the teacher’s apartment and described “cut marks” on her body, according to an affidavit obtained by The New Orleans Advocate on Monday.

The affidavit alleges that Kimberly Naquin, 26, and a female student had their first sexual encounter at the teacher’s apartment on Loyola Drive in Kenner the day before Halloween in 2014. The girl, who was 16 at the time, and Naquin — then 25 — had another sexual encounter at the teacher’s apartment the day after Thanksgiving a few weeks later, Kenner police alleged.

Police said Naquin — the daughter of St. Charles Parish School Board President Dennis Naquin — and her student went on to have several other encounters at the Kenner apartment and in Naquin’s classroom between January and August 2015 before the relationship ended.

The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office said it was alerted to the relationship by a family member on Wednesday.

In an interview with investigators, the student described the layout of Kimberly Naquin’s apartment as well as items inside it, and she provided details about cut marks on the teacher’s body “which one would only know if they had seen her in a state of complete undress,” police wrote in the affidavit.

Naquin agreed to be questioned by authorities on Thursday and “admitted to the ... sexual acts with the student who she knew was only 16,” Kenner police said in the affidavit.

During a news conference the next day, St. Charles Sheriff Greg Champagne said all parties involved had cooperated with police but stopped short of saying Naquin had confessed.

St. Charles deputies booked Naquin on counts of carnal knowledge of a juvenile and prohibited sexual conduct between a student and educator.

Early Saturday, Naquin was booked into the Jefferson Parish jail in Gretna on an additional 10 counts of felony carnal knowledge.

Naquin, who now lives in Destrehan, remained behind bars at the Jefferson jail as of Monday afternoon. Her bail had not been set, according to jail records.

St. Charles schools spokeswoman Stevie Crovetto said Naquin has been suspended without pay pending the outcome of an investigation.

Naquin is at least the fourth teacher from Destrehan High since 2008 to face allegations of inappropriate sexual conduct with a student or students.

Last year, 33-year-old Shelley Dufresne agreed to a plea deal in St. Charles after being accused of carnal knowledge of a juvenile, but she still faces similar counts in Jefferson Parish. Like Naquin, Dufresne is the daughter of a high-ranking government official in St. Charles: 29th Judicial District Court Judge Emile St. Pierre.

Another former teacher at Destrehan High, Rachel Respess, was alleged to have participated in a three-way sexual encounter with Dufresne and a 16-year-old male student in Kenner. Respess has been charged with failing to report that encounter to authorities in Jefferson but not with a sex crime.

In 2008, former Destrehan High band and music teacher Byron Toups was charged with having sex with a 16-year-old female student at his home as well as trying to kiss another 17-year-old female student after locking the door to a room on campus during the previous academic year.

Toups ultimately pleaded guilty in 2009 to malfeasance, intimidation of a witness and simple battery of two students. He was sentenced to a year in jail followed by six months of home incarceration and then probation.