Marrero man stabs sons, starts fire, breaks into home before arrest, deputies say _lowres

Kenny Dupre

A Marrero man has received a 25-year prison sentence after admitting that he cut his sons with a knife, threatened to kill his wife, and then broke into a house down the street last summer.

Kenny Dupre, 32, pleaded guilty in 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna on Monday to two counts of attempted second-degree murder as well as one count each of domestic abuse aggravated assault and unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling. Judge Adrian Adams sentenced Dupre immediately after the defendant entered his plea, court records show.

Check back with The New Orleans Advocate for more details later.

Below is background from a story on Dupre’s arrest on June 26.

Original story

After an argument with his wife early Friday, a 31-year-old Marrero man stabbed one of his sons three times and cut the neck of another, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Kenny Dupre then fled to a nearby house, set a shed there on fire, slit both of his wrists and broke into the house before he was arrested, Sheriff’s Office spokesman Glen Boyd said.

Dupre was taken to a hospital to receive treatment for his injuries before he was jailed on a variety of criminal counts, including attempted first-degree murder, Boyd said.

His boys, ages 13 and 4, also went to a hospital to be treated for their injuries, which were said not to be life-threatening.

Boyd said Dupre and his wife were arguing in their home in the 1500 block of Stella Place about 3:30 a.m. There were allegations of infidelity, and he threatened to kill her and their children, saying no one could have her if he couldn’t, Boyd said.

She eventually ran out the house and called 911. Dupre then went upstairs with a knife, stabbed the 13-year-old three times and superficially slashed the 4-year-old’s neck area, Boyd said.

The boys were sleeping when they were attacked.

Dupre ran from his house once deputies arrived, Boyd said. The deputies chased Dupre while he ran to a shed outside a home in the 1600 block of Lisa Drive, where he started a fire, Boyd said.

Dupre also poured gasoline on himself, slit his wrists, barged into the nearby house and holed up in a bathroom, Boyd said. The home’s residents were frightened but were not harmed, Boyd said.

Firefighters put out the blaze at the shed.

After he was captured and taken to the hospital, Dupre was booked on three counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count each of domestic abuse aggravated assault, aggravated arson, resisting an officer and home invasion.

Bail was not set on any of the counts except resisting an officer, which was for $500, records show.

Records show Dupre was sentenced to three years in prison in 2004 after a conviction for aggravated battery. That same year, he was sentenced to two years in prison for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.