The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is still accepting bids for alligator hunting on Wildlife Management Areas, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers properties and state wildlife refuges for the 2019-2021 alligator harvest seasons. Applications will be accepted until bid opening at 10 a.m. June 21 at the department's Lafayette Field Office, 200 Dulles Drive, Lafayette.
Eligible alligator hunters are chosen through a bid system every three years on selected WMA/Refuge/Corps properties.
Bids for alligator hunting will be solicited for the following WMA/Refuge/Corps properties: Grassy Lake, Spring Bayou, and Pomme de Terre (Avoyelles Parish), Attakapas (Iberia, St. Martin and St. Mary parishes), Sherburne — Corps lands (Iberville, Pointe Coupee and St. Martin parishes), Dewey W. Wills (La Salle and Catahoula parishes), Manchac (St. John Parish), Pearl River — North of Interstate 10, Pearl River — Between Interstate 10 and U.S. 90 and Pearl River — South of U.S. 90 (St. Tammany Parish), Joyce (Tangipahoa and Livingston parishes), Maurepas Swamp (St. John, St. James, Ascension, Livingston and St. Charles parishes), Indian Bayou — Corps property (St. Landry and St. Martin parishes), Atchafalaya Delta (St. Mary Parish), Pointe-aux-Chenes (Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes), Salvador (St. Charles Parish), Pass-a-Loutre (Plaquemines Parish) and St. Tammany Refuge (St. Tammany Parish).
A total of 33 alligator hunting opportunities are available for bid. The number of alligator tags that will be issued varies depending on the area awarded. For details on the number of alligator hunter opportunities and tags available by area, see the bid application notification.
Interested participants may review and print out the bid application notification and form from Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries's website at www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wildlife/alligator-hunting or request by phone at the phone numbers below or request in writing from Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Attn: Leslie Campbell, 2019-2021 WMA Alligator Harvest Bids, P.O. Box 62250, Lafayette, LA 70596.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Must be a Louisiana resident at least 18 years old.
2. Must have previous alligator hunting experience in Louisiana.
3. Must be able to provide essential equipment for alligator hunting on the WMA/Refuge/Corps property on which they are bidding.
4. Must be able to report to the WMA/Refuge/Corps property each morning until alligator tag quota is completed.
5. Must follow specific instructions issued by department personnel.
6. Must maintain required records.
7. Must be able to successfully pass a criminal-background check. All applicants will be screened for past wildlife and criminal violations.
For more information, call the appropriate Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries office (Lafayette, (337) 735-8667; Pineville, (318) 487-5885; Hammond, (985) 543-4777; or email LAalligatorprogram@wlf.la.gov.