Imagine beautifully landscaped grounds, walking paths, fountains, a pavilion with benches, trees, plants and flowering shrubs. Those amenities are now available for seniors to enjoy at COAST’s Slidell Senior Center.
It’s the result of a three-year effort. There will be a special dedication at 10 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 23, at the center, 610 Cousin St.
Keep Slidell Beautiful began the landscaping and garden project in 2012 with a $10,000 grant from Keep America Beautiful and UPS. KSB also contributed $6,000 from its annual golf tournament proceeds.
With many other donations, in-kind contribution of materials and countless volunteer hours, the project is ready to bloom.
What is unique about the project is that the raised herb and vegetable beds are all at wheelchair height, and the walking path is wheelchair accessible. The planters were developed with St. Tammany Master Gardeners and will be maintained by the senior green team.
According to Carolyn Hambrick, the center’s activities coordinator, the seniors are looking forward to working in the garden.
“A lot of us like digging in the dirt,” she said, adding that a salad was recently made from the garden. “It’s a beautiful site for strolling around the gardens, sitting in the gazebo and communing with nature.”
The dedication ceremony will be an opportunity for area seniors to meet the new COAST executive director, Julie Agan.
According to William Magee, COAST board president, “She’s a joy to work with. I’m pleased with the direction COAST is heading in. We have a great board and a great executive director.
“We’re serving the seniors the way they deserve to be served.”
COAST serves St. Tammany residents age 60 and older using funds from a dedicated millage and federal funding administered through the Governor’s Office.
- Bush Senior Center at 81605 La. 41, (985) 886-8971
- Covington Senior Center at Greater Starlight Baptist Church, 513 W. 28th Ave., (985) 892-8530
- Folsom Senior Center, 13120 Cleveland St., (985) 796-9950
- Lacombe Senior Center at Village Church-Lutheran, 29180 U.S. 190, (985) 218-9340.
- Mandeville Senior Center at the Paul Spitzfaden Community Center, 3090 E. Causeway Approach, (985) 624-4629
- Pearl River Senior Center, 39395 Pine St., (985) 863-2540
- Slidell Senior Center, 610 Cousin St., (985) 641-1852.
For information, call (985) 892-0377 or visit www.coastseniors.org.