Kenneth Landrieu

A jury convicted Kenneth Landrieu of aggravated assault with a firearm on Wednesday. (OPSO)

Kenneth Landrieu is going to be spending a lot more time with his mother.

A state judge sentenced the cousin of Mayor Mitch Landrieu and son of former Orleans Parish School Board member Phyllis Landrieu to one year of home arrest and two years of probation on Friday for pulling a gun on another driver in the Lower Garden District in 2015.

The businessman will be allowed to leave the home he shares with his mother to run her errands and take her to doctor's appointments between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m., but he will be forced to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet when he does it.

The judge also ordered Landrieu, 54, to complete anger management classes.

"We do not want to treat you any harsher or any more lenient than anybody else," Criminal District Court Judge Byron C. Williams said. "I’m not going to imprison you, because I wouldn’t imprison anybody based upon these facts."

Landrieu faced anywhere from probation to 10 years in prison. Assistant District Attorney Arthur Mitchell IV had asked the judge to impose at least some jail time.

Williams said he took into account the fact that road-rage incidents can spin out of control, such as the one last year that culminated in the fatal shooting of former pro football player Joe McKnight.

"At the end of the day, this was an aberration in your life, but unfortunately in our business, aberrations have gotten people killed, so I think this is a fair and appropriate sentence," Williams said.

A six-person jury convicted Landrieu on one felony count of aggravated assault in July. He had to spend a night in jail before his mother bailed him out.

The other motorist, Joseph Harris, said the roadside flare-up started after he tried to pass Landrieu on Magazine Street on Sept. 10, 2015.

Landrieu pursued Harris down the street in his mother's blue Cadillac DeVille to an intersection where he whipped out a small pistol and an Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office badge and threatened to call his "boys" to deal with the other driver.

Harris said Landrieu was "beet-red" and "angry" during the confrontation. He said he backed down to save his skin.

Harris testified Friday that the incident made him paranoid that he was being tracked or followed or that someone had cut his brakes. He now sleeps with a gun by the side of his bed, he said.

"This has been on my mind every day since this has happened. That being said, my intention was never to attack the Landrieu family. My issue was with Kenneth Landrieu alone, and I just wanted to see that he got the same treatment as anybody else who would do something like this," he said.

"I’m quite satisfied that he cannot own a gun any longer. He cannot do this to anyone else," Harris added.

Landrieu was represented at the sentencing by defense attorney and New Orleans City Councilman Jason Williams. He urged the judge not to hold Landrieu's famous name against him.

"There was no physical harm that was caused," Williams said. "I listened to the impact that it’s had on the victim. That is real. I can’t contest that. I would not dare contest that. All I would ask is that you treat Kenneth Landrieu no different than you would Kenneth Williams or Kenneth Jenkins."

At his trial, Landrieu was represented by attorneys Thomas Calogero and Justin Zitler, who maintained his innocence. They said Landrieu was acting within his duties as a reserve deputy to stop a reckless driver. However, a lawyer for the Sheriff's Office told the jury that it wasn't Landrieu's job to cite speeding drivers.

Harris has sued Landrieu and the Sheriff's Office seeking financial damages over the incident. That case is pending.

Follow Matt Sledge on Twitter, @mgsledge.

msledge@theadvocate.com | (504) 636-7432