Two people were injured in separate shootings early Tuesday, including one who was wounded during a mugging, according to New Orleans police.
A 39-year-old man was shot in the leg after two men covering their faces with white T-shirts approached him and a 25-year-old man while they sat in a vehicle in the 8000 block of Trapier Avenue in New Orleans East about 12:25 a.m., police said. The two men in the car were forced out at gunpoint, and they surrendered their wallets and cellphones before running away, police said. The robbers fired at the victims, striking the older one in the leg.
Paramedics took the wounded victim to the hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, police said.
A few hours later, just after 4 a.m. Tuesday, another person was shot in the leg near the intersection of South Derbigny and Josephine streets in Central City by someone in a white van, police said. Paramedics took him to a hospital in stable condition, police said.
In other matters recently handled by local authorities:
• An 18-year-old woman was cut by a man she knew in the 2000 block of Leonidas Street in the Leonidas neighborhood about 7:30 p.m. Monday, New Orleans police said. She took a private ride to the hospital; the man was wielding two knives, police said.
• The Adult Video Store in the 6400 block of Chef Menteur Highway in New Orleans East was robbed at gunpoint about 1:10 a.m. Monday, police said.
It was the second hold-up to occur there since March 27.
In the more recent stick-up, a man wielding a gun and covering his mouth with a black hoodie forced a 56-year-old cashier to the back and demanded money from her. The robber momentarily had trouble getting the security door open for his escape, and the cashier hit him with the safe during the delay, police said.
• In a robbery reported about 11:20 p.m. Monday, a 60-year-old woman had cash stolen from her pocket after one of two men who approached her asked her if she was OK and then pushed her down at the corner of First and Clara streets in Central City, New Orleans police said.
• About 12:40 a.m. Tuesday, a man was shot in the parking lot of the Boomtown Casino in Harvey by another man he knew during some sort of tussle, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office said. The victim’s injuries were not considered life threatening.
The Sheriff’s Office said the victim gave two different accounts about what happened, first claiming he was wounded during an attempted robbery but then saying that hadn’t been true. The second version of events involved the wounded man meeting a friend in the parking lot after gambling and then struggling with the friend over a weapon, Sheriff's Office Lt. Jason Rivarde said.
• The New Orleans coroner’s office identified the victims of two recent slayings. Pernell Richardson, 17, was fatally shot early Saturday in the 3300 block of Oliver White Avenue; and Christopher Thomas, 18, was fatally shot early Monday in the 3600 block of Erato Street in Central City.
Staff writer Ramon Antonio Vargas contributed to this report.