New Orleans police have jailed a suspect in a quintuple shooting that left two men dead in the Lower 9th Ward at the end of an exceptionally bloody Mardi Gras.
Kendall Barnes was booked Wednesday on two counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder in connection with the attack at St. Claude Avenue and Andry Street after 8 p.m. on Feb. 13.
His capture means police have made arrests in all three shooting incidents that marred the city's Fat Tuesday holiday celebration.
Homicide Detective Maggie McCourt obtained a warrant for Barnes’ arrest on March 12. Police said a single eyewitness identified Barnes out of a six-person photo lineup as “a shooter” in the slayings of Jamar Robinson, 26, and Byron Jackson, 21.
The three other men he is accused of wounding are also in their 20s.
Barnes was arrested on a second-degree battery charge in St. Bernard Parish on April 12; he was transferred to the Orleans Justice Center on Wednesday.
According to police, the victims were outside a home when multiple people approached and one began firing a rifle. One man was killed at the scene; the other died at a hospital. The three surviving victims went to hospitals in private vehicles.
Court records show Barnes has prior arrests for gun and drug charges in St. Bernard Parish last year and a sexual battery charge in St. Charles Parish, as well as numerous arrests in Orleans Parish.
It wasn't clear whether investigators have identified any other suspects in the shooting. No details about a possible motive for the attack have been released.
Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said Barnes' arrest was a reminder that his officers would continue working to “bring those suspected of committing violent crimes to justice.”
“The shootings on Mardi Gras Day turned what was supposed to be a festive local celebration for all of our citizens into a time of terror for those near the scene of this horrific crime in the Lower 9th Ward,” Harrison's statement said.
Robinson and Jackson were among three men killed in New Orleans on Mardi Gras.
Maurice Williams, 29, was fatally shot in the 2100 block of St. Charles Avenue, on the Uptown parade route. A 21-year-old man named Eddie Dingle Jr. is facing a count of murder in Williams’ death.
Meanwhile, boys ages 15 and 16 were wounded in a shooting at Union and Carondelet streets, about a block off the parade route in the Central Business District.
Three suspects are facing counts of attempted murder in connection with that shooting: the alleged triggerman, 18-year-old Jerald Bordere; his brother, 21-year-old Christopher Bordere; and 17-year-old Kentrell Howard.
Staff writer Matt Sledge contributed to this report.