Quinnton Marshall

Quinnton Marshall, via OPSO

A Gretna man was jailed Monday on allegations that he punched another man this month on Bourbon Street, leaving him in a coma. Quinnton Marshall, 33, faces a count of second-degree battery.

The victim of the Jan. 18 assault is no longer in a coma but remains in critical condition, records show.

The attack occurred a little before 10 p.m. on the normally crowded 400 block of Bourbon. The victim was standing on the street when Marshall came up from behind and punched him, New Orleans police said.

The victim fell, hit his head on the pavement and was knocked unconscious, police said. He was taken to University Medical Center.

Marshall went to a police station in the French Quarter on Monday and surrendered to officers there.

Police said he waived his right to remain silent, confessing that he had walked up from behind the victim and punched him. Marshall said he simply walked away from the victim after he fell, according to police, who had released a surveillance camera image of a suspect in the case on Jan. 23.

Court records don't say if Marshall provided any explanation for his actions. 

Marshall appeared in front of Orleans Parish Magistrate Court Commissioner Brigid Collins on Monday night.

Collins set his bail at $50,000 in connection with the battery count. But he was also being held without bail on various unrelated warrants out of Jefferson Parish, where he has prior drug-related convictions, records show.

Monday was not the first time Marshall has been accused of violent behavior. Prosecutors in Jefferson Parish charged with him with second-degree battery in March 2003. He pleaded guilty and received a two-year prison sentence from Judge M. Joseph Tiemann, who was serving on a temporary basis at the time, Jefferson Parish court records show.

Second-degree battery convictions in Louisiana can carry between 18 months and eight years in prison. 

Follow Ramon Antonio Vargas on Twitter, @RVargasAdvocate.

(504) 636-7433