The Jefferson Parish Public School System announced eight principal appointments Monday, completing the roster of new principals and hopefully giving their schools enough time to hire teachers for the 2019-20 school year.
The eight appointments bring to 22 the total number of new principals announced this spring.
The announcements came earlier than usual this year in an effort to have the principals in place early enough to try to cut down on vacant teaching positions for the next school year.
The system has routinely battled teacher attrition, often having to fill more than 300 teaching vacancies in a year. In some subjects, especially special education and sciences, the system has problems attracting certified applicants.
Schools Superintendent Cade Brumley has also proposed offering extra stipends for teachers in hard-to-staff subjects and schools.
New principals and the schools they were named to include:
- Zachary Butler, Bridgedale Elementary School in Metairie, is an assistant principal at Grace King High in Metairie and has been a mentor to teachers, a coach and an academic dean.
- Kevin Nanney, Greenlawn Terrace Elementary School in Kenner, is academic dean at Strehle Elementary, which is to be converted into an alternate school. He is pursuing a doctoral degree and is part of the system's leadership training program.
- Richelle Caiton, Hazel Park/Hilda Knoff Elementary School in River Ridge, is an assistant principal at Bissonet Plaza Elementary. During her more than 20-year career, she has been a teacher, master teacher and academic dean.
- Donna Donahoe, Jefferson Elementary School in Jefferson, directs Bonnabel Connections, a program for middle schoolers. She has been an assistant principal at Marrero Middle and John Ehret High.
- Wesley Taylor, John Ehret High School in Marrero, is the principal at Pitre Elementary, which earned a B for student progress in recent state ratings. He has been a teacher and principal in Marrero for 16 years.
- Myrtle Weber, McDonogh 26 Elementary School in Gretna, will leave a similar post at Live Oak Manor Elementary, which recently earned an A from the state in student progress.
- Holly Manson, Riviere Elementary School in Metairie, has been serving as academic dean at Adams Middle School. She has been a teacher, curriculum coordinator and federal programs coordinator.
- Brenda DeGraw, Pitre Elementary School in Westwego, will replace Taylor. DeGraw has been the assistant principal at C.T. Janet Elementary. Before that, she has been a teacher, technology coordinator and screening specialist.