Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — is a partner in ttegames.net an online horse racing contest site. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
2. Silverdollardreams: Gets back to dirt where last was pretty good and enough here.
6. Cookies R Good: My favorite is chocolate chip — old school — this one has big shot.
1. Purple Parrot: The drop down produced a big win and gets easy competition here.
4. Kool Aid Girl: Has run second over the track and looks best of the rest here.
8. Mr. Lexis: Like this quite a bit off the cutback to a distance favoring closers.
9. Blue and Cold: Accept the last race at face value and there is value in Morning Line.
7. Come on MB: Going with the namesake among other more analytical reasons.
5. Nola Fashion: Didn’t get the best of trips last out giving another shot at level.
5. Zinger: Has been involved till the end in every race with a closing kick — value.
9. Cowboy Culture: Undefeated top rider and trainer hard to knock here.
1. Girven: This might be a good bet against at short odds although Excitations did flatter.
1. Rosie My Rosie: Third in Tiffany Lass gets rail and trainer having great meet.
5. Shaken: Comebacker was good not great but should improve off that effort here.
5. Nishaora: Ran into some toughies in last all came back to run huge — this one too?
1. Dynazar: Taken out of comfort zone by going to lead in last — back to own style today.
4. I Hope: Claimer is in good form to take on better horses today at a price.
7. Why Me’s Legacy: Maiden winner ran solid first out beating next out winner.
1. Glorious Empire: Rail draw and second over the track point to this one in contentious affair.
8. Blarp: His best is good enough provided he can work out a trip — has top jock.
6. Miss Moronette: Has a win at this distance over track and is consistent.
7. Sugar Heaven: Should get a nice stalking trip behind the speed here if good enough.
Around the track
The Keith Gee Memorial Stakes is the fifth race on Saturday’s card, and kudos to the Fair Grounds for bringing back this important tribute to leading voice in horse racing in Louisiana. Keith Gee was a friend of mine, but he was a friend to nearly everyone who met him. With a sharp wit, a sometimes biting tongue, but always a relevant opinion on anything sports or politics, Keith Gee was a near constant and positive presence at the Fair Grounds. At the time of his passing way too young from cancer, Keith Gee was the Executive Director of the Louisiana Horsemen’s Benevolent Association and one of the leading voices for positive changes at the Fair Grounds. If Keith were around today he would blush as the naming of a race in his honor, but Keith would be so proud that his voice had been heard.
Our best bet today will be in Race 3 — No.8 Mr. Lexis. I like the cutback to a shorter distance that is favored on this turf distance. Good luck and may they all come home safely.