Jalen Johnson led three players in double figures with 20 points as host University High used a dominant second half to pull away from Parkview Baptist 60-34 Friday night in boys basketball action.

University (11-1) led just 28-24 at the half, but outscored Parkview 32-10 the rest of the way. Parkview was led by James Thompson’s 12 points, but struggled in the second half when he had foul troubles.

“I was pleased with the way we hung in there in the first half,” University coach Joe Spencer said. “We had some foul trouble, they had some foul trouble, but we came out ready to play in the second half and put it away.”

University’s balanced attack paid dividends as the Cubs got 18 points including four 3-pointers from Henry Shortess. Wayde Sims worked in the paint for another 16 points.

Parkview (5-5) led for much of the first quarter, but Thompson picked up two quick fouls after the score was tied 10-10. Thompson battled foul problems the rest of the game, and University began to settle down.

“They’re a very skilled basketball team, and they do a lot of the small things well,” Parkview coach Don Green said. “When you play against teams like this you can’t expect to knock them out in the first two or three minutes of a game.”

The teams traded baskets for the first four minutes of the third quarter, and University led 35-30 after Parkview’s Reed Vial scored two of his 10 points on a driving basket.

University then put the game away with a 15-2 run that bridged the rest of the third quarter through the first three minutes of the fourth. Johnson and Sims fueled the run with six points apiece, and Shortess hit a 3-pointer from the right wing.

The run also included Thompson’s fifth foul when he was called for blocking Skylar Mays’ path in the lane with 5:49 left in the game.

Vial hit a pair of free throws with five minutes left, but Parkview went scoreless the rest of the way. Both coaches substituted liberally in the final minutes.

‘We’ve got a young team, but they’re really gelling,” said Spencer of his starting lineup that includes four freshmen. “They’re learning how to play together. They’re doing a good job.”

Parkview stayed with University throughout the first half, and only ran into trouble when post player James Thompson had foul trouble.

With the score tied 10-10 late in the first quarter, Thompson picked up fouls on consecutive Parkview offensive possessions, and went to the bench.

University then scored the final four points of the quarter, and led 18-12 with six minutes left in the half before Thompson returned.

Thompson had a pair of inside baskets and Will Jones hit a 3-pointer as Parkview got within 23-22 at the 2:22 mark. University’s Henry Shortess then canned a 3-pointer, and made two free throws as University led 28-24 at the half.

“They were much better prepared from a coaching standpoint,” Green said. “I think their players executed their game plan very well, and we didn’t. On this particular night they were better.”