Livonia High School dominated Port Allen early, putting the visiting Pelicans in a massive deficit and eventually running away with a 46-22 victory on the Wildcats’ home turf on Friday night.

While the Pelicans had their eyes focused on Livonia senior running back Malcolm Dedrick, Cee Jay Powell snuck out of the backfield on several read options, gaining no less than 15 yards on all four of his first half carries.

But his legs weren’t his only weapon.

With 7:26 remaining in the first quarter in a 0-0 game, Powell and the Livonia offense were looking to complete its first successful drive of the contest. Powell proceeded to drop back and fire a strike into the waiting arms of senior wide receiver Stephen Guidry, who fought off one defender while bringing in the reception.

During their next drive, Powell broke off a 35-yard run to the Pelicans’ 1-yard line. Two plays later, Dedrick pounded in the 1-yard score to give Livonia a 13-0 lead with 1:15 remaining in the first quarter.

On the ensuing Wildcats drive, Powell made sure to reach the end zone.

With roughly eight minutes remaining in the second quarter, Powell found a hole in the Pelicans defensive line, burst through and sprinted 50 yards to give Livonia (3-0) a 20-point lead.

“It’s Cee Jay’s first year as a varsity quarterback, and he’s only going to improve every time,” Livonia coach Guy Mistretta said. “He’s getting better and better with the read game. When he gets into the open field, that’s his slot receiver instincts coming back into play.”

It wasn’t until 6:36 in the second quarter that Port Allen (2-1) finally found a sliver of offensive production.

After gaining a first down on its first series of the drive, junior running back Demarcus Franklin took the handoff, cut to the right side of the Pelicans’ offensive line and outran the defense for a 27-yard TD.

It would take 18 seconds before Livonia regained its previous momentum.

On the ensuing kickoff, Dedrick fumbled the ball at his own 10-yard line, scooped it on a bounce, broke one tackle and found an open field ahead of him.

Before Port Allen coach Guy Blanchard had a chance to peer up from his offensive play sheet, his squad trailed by 20 again.

“One thing we always talk to our kids about is when you get punched, you punch back,” Blanchard said. “(The Wildcats) answered every time they needed to.”

Livonia’s scoring barrage didn’t end at halftime.

The Wildcats took their opening drive down to the Pelicans’ 10-yard line. After a plethora of penalties kept Livonia from reaching the end zone on a Powell rush past the goal line, Dedrick took the next handoff and rumbled 10 yards for the score.

The Pelicans wouldn’t go down quietly, scoring two touchdowns in the second half, but the Wildcats never took their feet of the gas pedal.

Powell would take over the contest for the second time in the fourth quarter, though, rushing for a one yard score and throwing a 40-yard touchdown strike to Guidry to put Livonia’s lead out of reach.

“This isn’t going to be the last time we meet,” Blanchard said. “I have a feeling we’ll see those guys again somewhere down the road.”