With the game and bragging rights in District 8-5A up in the air Friday night, Landry-Walker quarterback Keytaon Thompson had many of the legends of O. Perry Walker and L.B. Landry high schools on his mind — and one in his ear.

“(Former O. Perry Walker and LSU lineman) Anthony Johnson came over and told me to go in there and help my team win,” Thompson said.

The junior quarterback did just that and helped place his name among some of the school’s former greats with a game-winning touchdown pass with two minutes left to defeat John Ehret 21-15 at Behrman Stadium on Friday night.

“Keytaon came through for us at the end, and that’s what great leaders do,” Landry-Walker coach Emmanuel Powell said. “He made some great plays at the end of the game and showed just how good a football player he is.”

Landry-Walker (4-2, 2-1 District 8-5A), trailing by two points the entire fourth quarter, kept coming up short over and over again with opportunities to take control, but it wanted to go on one more drive with its star quarterback.

Thompson, who had missed almost the entire second half after reaggravating an ankle injury that caused him to miss the previous two games, entered with 4:06 left and marched — or limped — his team down the field 49 yards in seven plays, ending with a falling 7-yard touchdown pass to Tevin Bush for the deciding score.

Thompson completed 6 of his 16 passes for 52 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.

“This win meant a lot to us because both teams wanted it so bad,” said Landry-Walker safety Mike Lee, who caught the game-sealing interception. “They are a great team, and to get a win like this is huge for us.”

Thompson pulled himself from the game with 7:56 left in the third quarter after reinjuring himself after a sack. The Charging Bucs went with Kahlil Williams to replace him at quarterback, and he threw an interception on his first pass, but Ehret (4-2, 2-1) handed him a chance at redemption.

The Patriots failed to convert a fake-punt inside their territory, allowing Landry-Walker to march 33 yards in six plays, ending with Williams scoring on an 8-yard run to cut the Ehret lead to 15-13 with 1:12 left in the third.

“My ankle hurt a lot during the game, and I took some sacks I wouldn’t have had to if I was healthy,” Thompson said.

The Charging Bucs held Thompson out of the game the first two possessions, but after Coreone Harris intercepted an Ehret pass and returned it to the Patriots 7-yard line, they decided to give their star quarterback a shot.

Thompson was sacked by Ehret on his first play, but on second down the junior threw a fade to Devonta Jason on the left side of the field, and the receiver snatched the ball out of the air for an 18-yard touchdown.

Ehret responded two possessions later with a nine-play, 54-yard drive that Juwan Leonard capped with 3-yard touchdown run to tie the score at 7 early in the second quarter.

The Patriots took their first lead of the game after they ended a five-play, 47-yard drive with a 12-yard jet sweep by receiver Donte Green that went for a touchdown. After converting the two-point conversion, Ehret took a 15-7 lead into halftime.

Friday marked the first time Ehret has lost a District 8-5A game since 2012.