Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
Picks made today for fast track and on turf
7. Majestic Appeal: Solid trainer angle in play here for Hawley.
3. My Buddy Chuck: Showed interest in last and is improving.
6. Ashley’s London: Pure track profile play as this one has the speed you need.
5. K One Kobra: Another one for Hawley.
5. Sherms Gold: Might have a slight pace edge here on these.
3. Tiz America: Was on the lead in first start but didn’t run well on slop in last.
5. Hearts Desire: Gets first time shades today and easier foes.
4. Blazing Angel: Nice turf run up north and drops down today.
5. Eco Star: Speed to get to the front and control pace is the key.
6. Sweet Miss Lou: Big win last out makes this one dangerous on the rise.
6. Pocket Time: One turf race was good over this course and is in top form now.
4. Girl Wando: Will be back early, but positive rider change helps this one.
1. Chorus: Horse ran well off layoff last year here now finds easy company.
7. Two Bad Attitudes: The other Johnston horse is working very well in the morning.
8. Cheyenne Pass: Looks to get really nice trip here right behind early speed.
10. Commander Sport: Will probably get first jump on inside speed of 1 horse.
5. Real Power: First off claim for Sharp has a nice turf record.
- inth race
6. Call the Colonel: Very fast two back and ran into a nice one in last tough race.
9. Uncle James: Should be coming from behind if his last two works are indicative.
Around the Track
A new trainer to the Fair Grounds scene has a starter in today, Roger Brueggermann. A high percentage trainer who trains for Midwest Thoroughbreds, Brueggerman had a big win last weekend when the same owner/trainer combo sent out The Pizza Man to a win in the Hollywood Turf Cup at Del Mar. The Pizza Man is scheduled to join his trainer here at the Fair Grounds, where he will winter in anticipation of getting back to the races in the spring — hopefully with a start here at the Fair Grounds.
Our best bet today will be in Race 8 — an exacta box with the 5-8-10. This is a wide-open betting race and I think I’ve narrowed it down to the three that will be around at the wire. Good luck and may they all come home safely.