Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
5. Easy Solution: One of my favorite angles — a claim back by trainer.
4. Lion Hall: Will be closing to get a piece of the exacta.
2. Hopeful Notion: Trainer is so good with these types and fits like a glove.
1. McGeehees Mercy: Gets a better post today and has run well with these before.
OFF TURF SELECTIONS — 2-7.
5. Grande Basin: Ran third in Louisiana Champ Day stakes — gets easier foes here.
8. Cajun Spirit: $120,000 Louisiana Bred purchase makes anticipated debut for West Point.
1. Wireless Future: This one has a big future on turf and is a very nice one for Amoss.
3. Help From Heaven: Ran behind top choice two back and can do so again.
OFF TURF SELECTIONS — 5-3.
2. Springboard: Been chasing this one — distance change helps for sure.
6. Jerald: Huge win last out and a repeat will be tough to beat.
6. Katiebarthedoor: Layoff after a claim and should love the turf here — a price today.
1. Joyable: Should get good trip from the inside saving ground before closing kick.
OFF TURF SELECTIONS – 6-7.
7. Gold Hawk: Picked this one more times than I can recall but should improve off last.
1. Dad Are We Here: Might pick up the pieces of a speed duel at a price.
4. Castelderg: Huge closing kick against some good ones in last.
7. Great Minds: How can we pick against Super Winning owner Vince Wilfork here — we can’t.
OFF TURF SELECTIONS – 7-8.
6. Tes Live Action: Stone cold closer needs hot pace to close into today.
3. Sorcerers Appeal: Gets a more favorable post today for best run.
Around the Track
Time to take a look at our results heading into the meat of the meet. For the last 105 races we are showing a flat bet profit for horses picked on top. This is wholly because of picking some price horses that came in for us last week as our win percent has actually dropped over the same period. Here are the results for the last three weeks:
105-27-14-15 = 213.20/26 percent
For the entire meet our results have improved but are still a bit underwater:
401-104-69-54 = 716.60/26 percent
Check out the paddock Thursday in Race 8 as Super Bowl Champ Vince Wilfork owns the Stall trained horse Great Minds. If the Super Bowl luck transfers to his horse this is a sure winner.
Our best bet today will be in Race 4 – No. 1 Wireless Future. I think this one has a big future against the best turf 3-year-olds in the country. Price will be short, but let’s build a bankroll for the weekend. If races are OFF turf let’s go with Race 7 — No. 7 Gold Hawk. Good luck and may they all come home safely.