New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, who is headed into the final year of his contract and carries a $30 million cap charge in 2016, has been widely speculated as a candidate for a potential extension this offseason.
New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, who attended LSU’s Pro Day on Monday, declined to offer an update on Brees’ contract situation in an interview with Saints reporters.
“I’m not going to address that,” Loomis said. “He’s under contract.”
Loomis has already declared his intent to make sure Brees, who is coming off of a season where he tossed 32 touchdowns, tied his Saints low with 11 interceptions and led the league in passing yards, is the quarterback in New Orleans for the foreseeable future. Back in February, Loomis told SiriusXM radio that he planned to work the situation out in a way that works for both sides.
New Orleans head coach Sean Payton has publicly been optimistic, telling the NFL Network at the Combine that he expected the contract to get done “very easily.”
Brees’ agent, Tom Condon, appeared on The Rich Eisen Show last week and said that he expected to have some conversations with the Saints in the next couple of weeks about a possible extension.
- Drew Brees’ agent, Tom Condon, offers few hints on potential contract extension
- Sean Payton says Drew Brees extension will get done “very easily”
- Mickey Loomis on a potential Drew Brees extension: “We’ll get that done in a way that works out for both sides”